Orthodontics and Braces
Many people desire straight teeth for aesthetic purposes. Orthodontics not only focuses on straightening your teeth, it also aligns crooked or overcrowded smiles to improve functionality and overall oral health.
At King Street Dental, we provide a range of orthodontic options to cater for your individual needs.
Our orthodontic options include:
Traditional metal braces are the most well known orthodontic treatment for a reason; they have been successful at treating misaligned teeth for years. At King Street Dental, our dentists’ use a state of the art bracket system known as the Damon System, which is customised to each individual patient to provide faster results with fewer appointments and less treatment time for patient comfort.
Made of high-grade stainless steel, metal braces straighten your teeth using metal brackets and arch-wires. Traditional metal braces place pressure on the teeth to move them into their final desired position. They are often the cheapest and fastest treatment option to straighten teeth effectively. Traditional braces can also be combined with other specialist orthodontic devices to correct jaw alignment and spacing issues.
Unlike conventional braces, the Damon Bracket System uses gentle forces designed to protect the health of your teeth and gums while in treatment. This system also gives you a broader smile then conventional braces, which reduces dark triangles at your mouths corners and improves overall facial profile which may even help provide a more youthful look.
While treatment time may vary, the Damon System has been proven to treat faster and require fewer appointments than traditional braces.
Ceramic braces provide a discrete alternative to metal braces. We at King Street Dental use the 3M Clarity Advanced Ceramic Brackets which are made of materials that blend with the natural colour of your teeth. Ceramic braces work the same way that traditional braces do, with brackets and arch wires. Ceramic braces are often preferred over metal braces by older teens and working professional adults who want to straighten their teeth without the appearance of metal braces.
While they are visually less prominent, they require more attention to oral hygiene as ceramic braces can stain and more brittle than their metal counterparts.
Invisalign are removable, custom made, clear orthodontic aligners that have a similar completion time to traditional fixed braces. These aligners move your teeth with gradual force to achieve your ideal smile and also help to adjust the bite. Invisalign can be great for people who prefer a more discreet yet effective alternative to traditional fixed metal braces when looking to straighten their teeth.
Invisalign is comfortable to wear as there are no metal wires or brackets that could potentially irritate your mouth or gums. Some people may experience temporary minor discomfort, at the beginning of each new treatment stage when they insert a new aligner. Invisalign can be removed to eat, maintain good oral hygiene and you may choose to remove them briefly for special occasions.
In-House Clear Aligners
Very similar to Invisalign, we offer In-House Clear Aligners. Thanks to advancements in digital technology and 3D printing, we are now able to scan a patient’s mouth, create a mould, and create our own clear aligners, right here at our office, saving considerable time and money.
Best of all, our clear aligners are made of the same high-quality material as name-brand aligners and work virtually the same. Each aligner is custom-made to fit over your teeth and is designed to gradually move teeth into their proper position.
Aligners are worn for at least 22-24 hours each day, and you’ll receive a new aligner every two weeks. The length of your treatment depends on the severity of your case, treatment can take anywhere from six months to two years.
Aligners vs Braces Comparison
At King Street Dental we understand that orthodontic treatment is not an easy decision to make. Here is a quick table comparison between Invisalign/In-House Clear Aligners and Braces to show you the difference at a glance:
- Nearly invisible, difficult for others to notice the treatment.
- Removable, have to wear 22-24 hours a day. You can remove to eat, brush and floss your teeth to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Some complex conditions may require a combination of braces and Invisalign to be properly corrected. Drawing out impacted teeth, for instance, or aligning high canines, can be difficult to do with Invisalign alone and may require supplemental braces treatment.
- Visits to your dentist every 8-10 weeks, depending on your case.
- Very comfortable as the aligners fit seamlessly against your teeth. They are custom made to fit along your gum line.
- More suited for older teens and adults.
- Wire and metal brackets are visible. Ceramic braces are less noticeable.
- Braces are fixed and not removable. May be difficult to eat certain foods and floss your teeth.
- More effective for complex cases such as impacted teeth or severe crowding.
- Monthly visits to your dentist for adjustments, depending on your case.
- Potential discomfort after each appointment with your dentist. Brackets and wires may poke or rub your mouth.
- Suited for any age once all adult teeth are present.
Have More Questions?
Before deciding on the best orthodontic solution for you, we offer smile assessments which include a 3D scan of your mouth and photos which one of our friendly dentist will then talk through your options, the advantages and disadvantages of orthodontics, and help you make an informed decision that is best for you.